Getting Data In

Why are logs not getting sent to Splunk with our current inputs.conf monitor stanza for a Windows file?

edwardrose
Contributor

Hello All,

I know this has been covered and there are many answers, but from what I can tell, my inputs.conf is correct.

[monitor://C:\Program Files (x86)\Syslogd\Logs\*.txt]
disabled = 0
index = malware
sourcetype = malwarebytes

Basically, this was working in our dev environment, and when I pushed the same inputs.conf from dev to production, we are not getting any logs sent to Splunk. And splunkd does not show any errors:

TailingProcessor - Parsing configuration stanza: monitor://C:\Program Files (x86)\Syslogd\Logs\*.txt.
09-13-2016 16:21:57.812 -0700 INFO  TailReader - State transitioning from 1 to 0 (initOrResume).
09-13-2016 16:21:57.812 -0700 INFO  TailReader - State transitioning from 1 to 0 (initOrResume).
09-13-2016 16:21:57.812 -0700 INFO  TailingProcessor - Adding watch on path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Syslogd\Logs.

So I am not sure why it isn't ingesting properly.

ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you getting other logs from this forwarder? Can you telnet to port 9997 on the indexer? Is there a network being blocked?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you getting other logs from this forwarder? Can you telnet to port 9997 on the indexer? Is there a network being blocked?

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

Yes, I can see all the splunkd logs and windows logs getting ingested. As of this morning there is data in the malware index. I think because splunk read the files once in the dev environment, it did not read them again in the production environment? I am not sure as a new file was created last night/early this morning and that information was ingested. All the old *.txt files that were present while we were running tests in dev did not get ingested.

That seems weird to me as dev and prod are completely separate instances. But it is working now. Thanks all

0 Karma

LBG_Ankit

Hi,
can you pls give me the idea how it is working for you, I also have same issue and can see other security and windows event logs in splunk but when I configured some text file on 😧 drive it is not picking there in splunk.
Please guide me.

Thanks,
Ankit

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Just to clear up the obvious... Do you have -
An index named malware in production?
A props.conf file for the sourcetype malwarebytes in production?
Are there new log events in production?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

FYI, your inputs.conf works for me.

0 Karma

edwardrose
Contributor

Yes I have an index called malware in production
I do not have a props.conf for the sourcetype malware, as I did not need one in dev
Yesterday was the last day that files were written out to the directory that we are monitoring the *.txt files

And splunkd shows nothing out of the ordinary.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Check splunk btool inputs list monitor if your config is applied correctly and check splunk list inputstatus if Splunk is reading the directory and the files?
Check if your service account has permission to read files in that directory?
Check on any intermediate parsing layer, if there are nullQueues configured?
Check index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd source=*metrics.log series=*Syslodg* over all time to get some information if data was sent?
Search the index over all time, maybe you have some timestamping issue?
Last resort tcpdump the traffic to see if the input instance is sending out events and they get lost somewhere?

This list is almost never-ending ... Good luck and I hope you find the missing puzzle piece.

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...