Getting Data In

Why are Splunk some logs missing from kiwi syslog?

bheptinstall
Engager

Hello everyone I am running into an issue that may be either Splunk or my Kiwi Syslog server, and I am not really sure and the research I am doing is not helping currently.

We had a network device that was not communicating and sending logs to syslog server but we fixed that and now whenever we view the RAW logs on the server we can see the specific %Port_Security logs that we are trying to have reported directly to splunk.

Whenever I run a search query (that worked before a baseline change) I return 0 results. So what I did was change the way I am trying to retrieve these logs so I run a "sourcetype=syslog" host={switch-name}. The switch pops up and contains a number of logs. However, it seems that the most important log that we want (%Port_Security) does not return as a finding. After, running this search I figured there was maybe a problem with the sourcetype so I ran a search that targets the live syslog data with - source={log location} host={switch-name}. The system pops up again. I did not find the port security report inside this search either. I even added a (%Port_Security) on the back end of it. 

I reached out to our engineers that provided the tool to us to help fix the issue since they are the ones that provide it and do the back end configuration and troubleshooting but they refuse to help. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...