Getting Data In

Why am I seeing strange characters for Windows event log fields?

CypherBit

I'm using Windows Event Forwarding to gather all the needed events on our collector running 2012 R2. Splunk 6.4.0 is installed on this same server.

I've added the data, Monitor\Local Event Logs\ForwardedEvents. All the events are present, but I'm having the following issues:

• Type is displayed as: Type=윐ᇣp
  • Message is displayed as: Message=윐ᇣp
  • Same for OpCode=윐ᇣp
  • Additionaly: User=NOT_TRANSLATED

I'm very new to Splunk, so try to be as verbose as possible what needs changing and where. I tried using RenderXML = 1, but I still don't see the text, which is displayed correctly when viewed with Event Viewer.

0 Karma
1 Solution

abpe
Path Finder

I had exactly the same issue. To resolve, change the content format of your subscription from Rendered Text to Events:

wecutil ss "subscription name" /cf:Events

View solution in original post

abpe
Path Finder

I had exactly the same issue. To resolve, change the content format of your subscription from Rendered Text to Events:

wecutil ss "subscription name" /cf:Events

bgaignon
Path Finder

I had the same issue, this solution fixed my problem.
Thanks for the tip.

0 Karma

CypherBit

Thank you, not sure it does the trick since I pretty much gave up on Splunk and went with Graylog.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...