Getting Data In

Why am I seeing duplicate field values under interesting fields?

cc3658
Explorer

Can anyone tell my why I am see duplicate host values (1 uppercase and 1 lowercase) in my interesting fields and how to fix it. I have checked inputs.conf and server.conf, they both show the uppercase version. I am not sure where this second host name is originating from.

alt text

0 Karma

migullmills
Explorer

Not sure if this is still needing answers after two years, but for anyone searching. I think Ingesteval fixes this as the sourcetypes you are ingesting are coming in with multiple cases. So identify one that is coming in upper and change it to lower :  Start by editing 

transforms.conf

[host]
INGEST_EVAL = host=lower(host)

props.conf

[my_sourcetype]
TRANSFORMS = host

fields.conf

[host]

INDEXED = True

This will make the selected source come across as lower (can also be eval to upper). Find each sourcetype coming in as upper case and bring it to lower.  Or vice versa for upper 
 https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Data/IngestEval

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

yes, you can override in transforms.conf with the values you want or you can use a regex to extract from the event.
[yoursourcetype]
REGEX = (.+)
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host
FORMAT = host:my_host

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

If the sourcetype is syslog, the syslog-host transform will set the hostname based on the value in the event itself.

For the events that have the unexpected host value, what is the sourcetype, and can you paste the _raw values for them as well?

0 Karma

cc3658
Explorer

Yes, the sourcetype is syslog. How would I correct it? A change to the syslog-host transform or a conf file on the host itself? Thanks!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@cc3658 check the source and also sourcetype for the two hosts.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...