Getting Data In

Why am I getting "WARN AuthorizationManager - Unknown role" errors in splunkd.log after deleting the VMware and Windows Infrastructure apps?

bravon
Communicator

After removing the Windows Infrastructure and VMWare applications, we get the following errors in splunkd.log:

WARN AuthorizationManager - Unknown role 'winfra-admin'
WARN AuthorizationManager - Unknown role 'splunk_vmware_admin'

I can't seem to find where the old (deleted/removed) roles are referenced - can someone point me in the right direction?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

bravon
Communicator

azurite257
Explorer

It's not the authorized.conf. ess_user, ess_admin, ess_analysts would have been additional roles associated with admin account or other users defined local to the splunk (i.e. if you are using LDAP, then only system accounts that should be defined would have been admin).

Look at the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd. remove the roles associated that is no-longer existing on that splunk instance. That should get rid of the errors in the log.

:admin:$$::Administrator:admin;ess_admin;ess_analyst:changeme@example.com::

In above example, remove the entries ';ess_admin;ess_analyst' and save. Restart splunk, and error will be gone.

bravon
Communicator

After reading http://answers.splunk.com/answers/205496/how-to-troubleshoot-unknown-role-warnings-for-ess.html i found a reference in etc\system\local\authorize.conf

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...