Getting Data In

What port does the forwarder need opened to the indexers?

williamiamvsi
Engager

Im trying to put in firewall requests for my forwarders. I will need them to communicate back to the indexers to send data, but I don't know what port they use. 8089,8000,8080,9997???

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

pwattssplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Forwarder to Indexer communication is done over 9997

View solution in original post

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Actually 9997 is the default port but you can configure the Forwarder to communicate on any port above 1024.

pwattssplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Forwarder to Indexer communication is done over 9997

patterc
Path Finder

I'd like to add that this answer is half correct. The Indexers RECEIVE data on port 9997, but the Universal Forwarder and Heavy Forwarder SEND the data over a random port.

Within the packet structure, the SRC will be the [ForwarderIP]:[random port] and the DSC will be [Indexer IP]:9997

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

I would also open port 8089 from yoru Search Heads or Indexers to UF, HF, or LFs. (Indexer, Search Head, UF, HF, or LF) If you plan on using the CLI. Also this port is required for the (default conf) Deployment Server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...