Getting Data In

What is the difference between a inputs.conf whitelist and dorp events with Props.conf and Transfroms.conf?

aasabatini
Motivator

Hi folks,

I need a quick clarification, I need to know if I use a whitelist function on inputs.conf I will saving the license like the drop event configuration by props and transforms.

thanks in advance

Regards

Alessandro

“The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.”
Labels (1)
0 Karma

jawahir007
Path Finder

Both will be having the same effect, because props and transforms are part of the parsing activity only, data passes through the license after the parsing.  

If you are filtering the data inputs (inputs.conf) using a whitelist or any other way at the time of reading it, you can save some network bandwidth by reducing the amount of data sent toward the Heavy Forwarder/Indexer. And also you can reduce the effort of the parser by reducing the amount of data to be parsed.

Both the case's licenses will be calculated based on the data which the parser outputs.

PaulPanther
Builder

@aasabatini Yes, you will save license because data that are not on whitelist will be ignored.

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Whitelists/blacklists in input definition limit filenames which are considered for ingestion. And that's all. They don't drop anything.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...