Getting Data In

What is the best way to re-run a summary index to collect missed events after an outage?

Glasses
Builder

Hi - 

Let's say you have a scheduled query / report that runs daily (at mid-night) looking over a time range of Last 24 hours.  And you summarize the results to index=summary_index_foo.

There was a "foo" data source outage for a couple days, however you were able to backfill the data to index=foo.

What is the best to re-run the query without creating a lot of duplicates.   I am pretty sure if you use "collect" that will create duplicates.

But will re-scheduling a one-time clone of the report over the outage days and summarizing results create duplicates if the time range overlaps into the data (before and after the outage)?

In other words, the outage time frame was not to the minute, hour, or day exactly.  When you re-schedule/re-summarize the query will that create duplicates if the same data/event exists in the summary index for that time?   

Or will Splunk drop duplicates when using the summary index?    I am guessing duplicates will still be created but need a sanity check.

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gbansode
Explorer

@Glasses Do you want to backfill summary Index ? Here you go https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Knowledge/Managesummaryindexgapsandoverlaps...

Run the fill_summary_index command from bin. Example below 
./splunk cmd python fill_summary_index.py -app is_app_one -name
"summary - count by user" -et -30d -lt now -j 8 -dedup true -auth
admin:changeme

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gbansode
Explorer

@Glasses Do you want to backfill summary Index ? Here you go https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/Knowledge/Managesummaryindexgapsandoverlaps...

Run the fill_summary_index command from bin. Example below 
./splunk cmd python fill_summary_index.py -app is_app_one -name
"summary - count by user" -et -30d -lt now -j 8 -dedup true -auth
admin:changeme
0 Karma

Glasses
Builder

TY, for the reply, I will try it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...