Getting Data In

What is splunk's capacity for receiving UDP events/second?

Chris_R_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have an index that gets around 2million events/hour and it seems not a sizable number of events are not making it from the manager to our splunk instance. At the very least we are talking about 60,000 events in a 24 hours period. This would seem to be beyond the normal expected loss for connectionless UDP. Is it possible splunk is being inundated with so many events that some are being discarded?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can examine the performance of Splunk by examining the thruput for that particular input. Using UDP as the network protocol is not recommended if you are concerned about data loss. There is the following wiki topic that details tuning recommendations and some troubleshooting tips:

http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Community:UDPInputs

The capacity of a Splunk instance is mostly determined by the hardware. Our reference architecture (for handling 100 GB/day) is capable of handling peak thruput in excess of 3 MB/sec. I have seen up to 10 MB/sec in some cases.

View solution in original post

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can examine the performance of Splunk by examining the thruput for that particular input. Using UDP as the network protocol is not recommended if you are concerned about data loss. There is the following wiki topic that details tuning recommendations and some troubleshooting tips:

http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Community:UDPInputs

The capacity of a Splunk instance is mostly determined by the hardware. Our reference architecture (for handling 100 GB/day) is capable of handling peak thruput in excess of 3 MB/sec. I have seen up to 10 MB/sec in some cases.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...