Getting Data In

Upgrade DBConnect version

splunkcol
Builder

Hi, I currently have an outdated version of DBConnect and need to go through the upgrade process.

I have several questions.

1. To perform the upgrade process I must necessarily make a backup of the entire splunk installation?

2- If I enter https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/2686 it allows me to download a tgz file, with this file I can enter through the graphical interface of splunk and load it?

3. If there is an old version already installed, will this affect the existing inputs, connections and identities?

4. How would you perform or recommend me to perform this upgrade process?

thanks

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how outdated your current version of DBX is, you face either a multi-step upgrade process or a complete do-over.  To read how to upgrade DBX 3 up to 3.9 to 3.10 or later see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.9.0/DeployDBX/MigratefromDBConnectv1

As for the specific questions,

1. No, you do not need to backup the entire Splunk installation.  It may be a good idea, but is not necessary.  Backing up the entire installation is overkill, however, as you really only need to back up $SPLUNK_HOME/etc.

2 - Yes, you can install .tgz files in the GUI.

3. Read the Release Notes to know what is affected by an upgrade.  In general, however, upgrades do not affect existing configurations.

4. Again, it depends on what version you are upgrading from.  At the very least, read and follow the upgrade instructions in the DBX manual.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Depending on how outdated your current version of DBX is, you face either a multi-step upgrade process or a complete do-over.  To read how to upgrade DBX 3 up to 3.9 to 3.10 or later see https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/3.9.0/DeployDBX/MigratefromDBConnectv1

As for the specific questions,

1. No, you do not need to backup the entire Splunk installation.  It may be a good idea, but is not necessary.  Backing up the entire installation is overkill, however, as you really only need to back up $SPLUNK_HOME/etc.

2 - Yes, you can install .tgz files in the GUI.

3. Read the Release Notes to know what is affected by an upgrade.  In general, however, upgrades do not affect existing configurations.

4. Again, it depends on what version you are upgrading from.  At the very least, read and follow the upgrade instructions in the DBX manual.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

splunkcol
Builder

thank you very much

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...