Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder

dking307

I have universal forwarder installed on a Windows 2008 box. I have a directory c:\logs\firewall setup where I am pointing the Windows firewall logs. I want to have the universal forwarder pick these up and send them to the indexer. I am newb and have read through the doc and its not really clear to me on how to do this. I know I need to edit the inputs.conf but I am not sure of the syntax.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Karma

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just edit your inputs.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/. If inputs.conf doesn't exist, add the file.

Do something like this:

[monitor:://C:\Logs\firewall]
disabled = 0 
sourcetype = my_sourcetype
host = my_hostname

For details, see:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/inputsconf

I hope this points you in the right direction.

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

actually: [monitor://c:\\c:\logs\firewall], i.e., only one colon. You don't need the disabled=0 clause, that's default, and most of hte time you don't need the hostname if the local forwarder host is correct.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...