Getting Data In

Unable to delete sourcetype

jangid
Builder

I had setup a forwarder to monitor the directory and didn't specify any source type. Splunk automatically create some sourcetype in search app. I don't want these source type and now I want to delete all of them but I am getting some error while deleting.

I am trying to execute below command.

sourcetype=log-too_small | delete

I am getting below error
Error in 'delete' command: You have insufficient privileges to delete events.

While I am logged in as a 'Admin'

any clue what is wrong???

Thanks
Manoj Jangid

Tags (2)
1 Solution

jangid
Builder

oops by default admin doesn't have can_delete permission after setting this permission to admin I am able to delete.

View solution in original post

erritesh17
Path Finder

In Splunk 8.2 and above go to Settings -> Users 

Under actions TAB click on edit and assign a role : can_delete

please check below SS. 

Screenshot 2021-11-12 at 10.32.08 AM.png

0 Karma

jangid
Builder

oops by default admin doesn't have can_delete permission after setting this permission to admin I am able to delete.

ak
Path Finder

Manager -> Access Controls -> Roles -> Select Specific Role that the user belongs to

Scroll down to the "Inheritance" section. Add the "can_delete" role to the Selected Roles on the right.

0 Karma

manishsw
Engager

settings>access controls..

0 Karma

monicato
Path Finder

where can you change permissions for this function? Did you do this through the GUI?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...