I've been trying to create a new source type, but unfortunately - with no success.
My data is uploaded from a CSV file (hold your horses, there's a small catch).
I put all of the relevant files in a folder (I use Windows) named "C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\USERNAME...\packetLog" - I wish that Splunk will continually index new files in this folder.
Each line in the CSV files looks like this (each field is separated by a semicolon):
After reviewing some online documentations and examples, I created a new sourcetype in C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\system\local\props.conf:
sourcetype = Analyzer_packets
FIELD_DELIMITER = ";"
FIELD_NAMES = "TIMESTAMP","TIMESTAMP_Friendly","PacketId","FlowId","pcap_ID",...(and so on for the other field names).
As you can probably see, creating fields with Regex in this case is extremely difficult, since more than one value has the same (or very similar) pattern.
Your help will be greatly appreciated. If there's a need for additional info just say so.
(For some reason I can't edit my question, so here's some more info:)
the fields extraction does not work at all: Splunk doesn't recognize the files from the specific folder as a different sourcetype, and even worse - it doesn't extract the fields even when I apply the source type manually.
First I had tried to change props.conf file with a text editor (but it didn't appear on the sources list in Splunk UI) and then I created the new sourcetype through the UI itself.
The name of the folder is C:\Users\USERNAME\Desktop\USERNAME...packetLog\"
Instead FIELDDELIMITER = ";" use DELIMS = ";"
Instead FIELDNAMES use FIELDS = "field1","field2","field3"
Stop e Start Splunk.