Getting Data In

Trouble installing Splunk_TA_jmx Add-on: Has anyone seen the following error?

robgora_deloitt
Path Finder

I have the Splunk_TA_jmx add-on installed on a Heavy Forwarder but am getting the following error:

Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_jmx": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.

I ran the following:

sudo -u splunk /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx |/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd /opt/splunk/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py

and this is what I got:

Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_jmx": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py", line 136, in 
    token = ET.fromstring(xml_str).find('session_key').text
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1312, in XML
    return parser.close()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1671, in close
    self._raiseerror(v)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1523, in _raiseerror
    raise err
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: no element found: line 1, column 0

Any thoughts on this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Have you installed Java Run time ? Please see prerequisite here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/JMX/Hardwareandsoftwarerequirements#Prerequisit...

If JRE is installed then you can run below command to check introspection scheme

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py --scheme

View solution in original post

0 Karma

robgora_deloitt
Path Finder

I found my own issue here. It seems that you have to have Java installed on the Heavy Forwarder for this add-on to work.

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @robgora_deloitte,

It seems like you have found an answer to your question. Would you mind approving your answer for me to help guide future users?

Thanks!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Have you installed Java Run time ? Please see prerequisite here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/JMX/Hardwareandsoftwarerequirements#Prerequisit...

If JRE is installed then you can run below command to check introspection scheme

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py --scheme
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...