Getting Data In

Trouble installing Splunk_TA_jmx Add-on: Has anyone seen the following error?

robgora_deloitt
Path Finder

I have the Splunk_TA_jmx add-on installed on a Heavy Forwarder but am getting the following error:

Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_jmx": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.

I ran the following:

sudo -u splunk /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx |/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd /opt/splunk/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py

and this is what I got:

Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_jmx": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py", line 136, in 
    token = ET.fromstring(xml_str).find('session_key').text
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1312, in XML
    return parser.close()
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1671, in close
    self._raiseerror(v)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/xml/etree/ElementTree.py", line 1523, in _raiseerror
    raise err
xml.etree.ElementTree.ParseError: no element found: line 1, column 0

Any thoughts on this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

Have you installed Java Run time ? Please see prerequisite here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/JMX/Hardwareandsoftwarerequirements#Prerequisit...

If JRE is installed then you can run below command to check introspection scheme

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py --scheme

View solution in original post

0 Karma

robgora_deloitt
Path Finder

I found my own issue here. It seems that you have to have Java installed on the Heavy Forwarder for this add-on to work.

0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @robgora_deloitte,

It seems like you have found an answer to your question. Would you mind approving your answer for me to help guide future users?

Thanks!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi,

Have you installed Java Run time ? Please see prerequisite here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/JMX/Hardwareandsoftwarerequirements#Prerequisit...

If JRE is installed then you can run below command to check introspection scheme

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_jmx/bin/jmx.py --scheme
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...