Getting Data In

Timestamp with different field name?

travispowell
Path Finder

My timestamp is contained in a field called SESSION_TIMESTAMP. Is there a way I can map the Splunk "understood" timestamp to this already extracted field? Splunk keeps making up bizarre timestamps taking place in 2007.

(*Note: I'm using CSV extraction so it's a little more complicated than a regex or character look-ahead...)

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can simply use TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT. TIME_PREFIX specifies a regex that occurs before the timestamp. At the time of indexing, Splunk does not care whether your line is part of a CSV file. For example, if the field is the fourth field, you might use

TIME_PREFIX = ^(?:[^,]*,){3}

and the TIME_FORMAT as appropriate.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can simply use TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT. TIME_PREFIX specifies a regex that occurs before the timestamp. At the time of indexing, Splunk does not care whether your line is part of a CSV file. For example, if the field is the fourth field, you might use

TIME_PREFIX = ^(?:[^,]*,){3}

and the TIME_FORMAT as appropriate.

travispowell
Path Finder

Gah, okay... thank you. I was hoping there would be something more elegant than this. 🙂

0 Karma

travispowell
Path Finder

i.e., I want to know if I can add something to a CONF file, SPLUNK_TIMESTAMP_NAME="SESSION_TIMESTAMP"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...