Getting Data In

Time format not being recognized as data point

HCadmins
Communicator

I have a search with multiple time formats, and the "Duration" time format isn't being recognized when I to a chart. Take a look at the screenshot:
alt text

I am trying to overlay "Duration" with "Throughput _GB_Hour", but on the chart Duration is always zero, whereas in the table we can see different time stamps.

My guess is I need to convert this somehow, but I am stuck as to how to make this work.

Here is my search
eventtype=cv "Source Client"=* "Destination Client"=slc-p-res* OR dab* Duration=* "Start Time"=* "End Time or Current Phase"=* "Throughput _GB_Hour"=* | convert ctime(_time) | table _time "Source Client" "Destination Client" "Start Time" "End Time or Current Phase" Duration "Throughput _GB_Hour"

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Since your duration in hours will be a very small number in comparison to the throughput values which are in 100s or 200s range hence to represent both values on same scale better try to use the log scale to represent the y axis. It can be chosen from the format option of the visualization.
The hour should be eval Durationhrs=(Durationsec / 60/60).

0 Karma

HCadmins
Communicator

Okay, got it!

convert dur2sec(Duration) AS Durationsec | eval Durationhrs=(Durationsec / 60)

Lets me use that duration time as hours, and makes my chart work!

HCadmins
Communicator

But wait... is this really giving me the hours? Or do I need to do eval Durationhrs=(Durationsec / 60/60)?

gokadroid
Motivator

your Duration and Throughput _GB_Hour have different units. One in time and other in real number. What is your expectancy when your are trying to plot them on the same y axis?

0 Karma

HCadmins
Communicator

I just wanted to overlay the time it takes for a particular backup with its throughput.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...