20120621,retailer1,20,100,5
20120621,retailer2,0,10,10
20120621,retailer2,10,20,8
20120621,retailer2,20,100,5

Now there are Splunk events which contains hourly usage

_time, retailer, usage

So I want to get a sum of all the usage over one month with something like

sourcetype="myData" | stats sum(usage) by retailer

But I then want to calculate a total cost.

So for example the if the total usage over the month was 50.

• The first 10 would be priced at $10 per unit
  • The second 10 units would be priced at $8 per unit
  • The remaining 30 units would be priced at $5 per unit

How can I do this in a Splunk search?

Harder still the original CSV was actually intended to be a time based lookup so it would only use the associated date section based on the _time from the events.

I am thinking maybe I should restructure this CSV and join it 3 times in the props.conf somehow???

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

chris
Motivator

Hi

im skipping the time based part for now. If you do the lookup after your stats command:

sourcetype="myData" | stats sum(usage) as sum by retailer   | lookup retail retailer

the lookup will add the tiered pricing information as multivalued fields.

You can append this eval to get your result ( I don't think, that Splunk has any looping operators that can be aplied to an event/the mv fields of an event):

|eval price=case (
sum>mvindex(lower,0) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*sum,

sum>=tonumber(mvindex(lower,1)) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,1)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*tonumber(mvindex(upper,0))+(sum-tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)))*tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,1)),

sum>=tonumber(mvindex(lower,2)) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,2)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*tonumber(mvindex(upper,0))+tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,1))*(tonumber(mvindex(upper,1))-tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)))+(sum-tonumber(mvindex(upper,1)))*tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,2))
)

This obviously only works if you you have only 3 ranges and gets more complex with every additional range you add.

View solution in original post

chris
Motivator

Hi

im skipping the time based part for now. If you do the lookup after your stats command:

sourcetype="myData" | stats sum(usage) as sum by retailer   | lookup retail retailer

the lookup will add the tiered pricing information as multivalued fields.

You can append this eval to get your result ( I don't think, that Splunk has any looping operators that can be aplied to an event/the mv fields of an event):

|eval price=case (
sum>mvindex(lower,0) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*sum,

sum>=tonumber(mvindex(lower,1)) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,1)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*tonumber(mvindex(upper,0))+(sum-tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)))*tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,1)),

sum>=tonumber(mvindex(lower,2)) AND sum<=tonumber(mvindex(upper,2)),tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,0))*tonumber(mvindex(upper,0))+tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,1))*(tonumber(mvindex(upper,1))-tonumber(mvindex(upper,0)))+(sum-tonumber(mvindex(upper,1)))*tonumber(mvindex(price_rate,2))
)

This obviously only works if you you have only 3 ranges and gets more complex with every additional range you add.

phoenixdigital
Builder

I'm thinking the best solution is to just change the CSV format to.

date,retailer,upper_tier1,price_tier1,,upper_tier2,price_tier2,upper_tier3,price_tier3

Then use a similar method as you suggested. That will allow me to use temporal lookups without worrying about changes in the number of tiers. If they add additional tiers I will just have to change my searches.

Thanks again for the assist.

0 Karma

phoenixdigital
Builder

Nice that works perfectly. A good example of how multikv works too.

My only issue now is the using this as a temporal style lookup.

Turns out it is possible by adding a max_matches=3 to the transforms.conf . Again however as you mentioned if some retailers have less/more tiers than others it breaks the whole system.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...