Getting Data In

The "level" field is being automatically added by splunk, how to we ask splunk to extract log level from my json message ?

kishoresanke

The "level" field is being automatically added by splunk, how to we ask splunk to extract log level from my json message ?

alt text

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Actually I think you can do this. The previous answer's explanation is valid, but using it you can do this:

props.conf:

[<sourcetype>]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
REPORT-embedded_message = embedded_message
KV_MODE = json

props.conf:

[embedded_message]
SOURCE_KEY = message
REGEX = "(?<_KEY_1>[^:]+)":\s*"(?<_VAL_1>.*?)"

In action:

alt text

0 Karma

kishoresanke

Thanks a lot again for a detailed answer. I will try this today . quick question - why do we have both KV_MODE = none as well as KV_MODE = json in the sourcetype section ?

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Artifact of previous attempt. 🙂 WIll fix in answer.

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

The reason splunk isn't automatically extracting this out is (probably) because the message field is JSON embedded in other JSON, as opposed to a sub-structure of the same JSON. I'm willing to bet the message field contains escaped quotes if you view the raw event. Here's a run-anywhere example of what I mean:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"message\": \"{\\\"level\\\": \\\"0\\\"}\"}" | spath

Gives a sample _raw of:

{"message": "{\"level\": \"0\"}"}

And a message value of:

{"level": "0"}

Which you could run spath against and get the results you want:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"message\": \"{\\\"level\\\": \\\"0\\\"}\"}" | spath | spath input=message

If the message field was part of the actual JSON structure (instead of JSON embedded in other JSON), _raw would look more like this:

{"message": {"level": "0"}}

Which would parse properly into message.level. The run-anywhere search to show this in action is:

| makeresults | eval _raw="{\"message\": {\"level\": \"0\"}}" | spath

So how do you make this "just work" without having to run a separate spath each time you search? I don't think there is a way. Even if you knew that you only cared about the message field and nothing else and you used SEDCMD to rewrite _raw when you index the data, it would still contain escaped quotes that are going to prevent JSON parsing from being successful.

0 Karma

kishoresanke

Thanks for detailed explanation. But what bugs me is, the "req_id" field is also escaped within the message field, but somehow splunk has automatically extracted this out. Then why not the "level" ?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Are you able to see automatically extracted message.level field on left hand side? If yes then it will give you value INFO

0 Karma

kishoresanke

no, its not automatically extracted.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion
0 Karma

kishoresanke

i did try spath, but wouldn't it be easier if splunk extracts the field automatically rather than i write spath command to extract the field everytime i want to search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...