Getting Data In

The logs I'm searching do not contain a key - value format

src053
Engager

I have log files that do not have a key - value format. The first part of each event is like this:
2013/11/25-17:09:08[32:31.928] however there is nothing in the log file setting this as "time" event.
When I go to import these log files splunk indexes them as the time of the import. Is there something I can do to have splunk tack the first string in the log as the time stamp?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lukejadamec
Super Champion

On the indexer, you should create or add to the splunk\etc\system\local\props.conf configuration file. I recommend something like this:

props.conf

[yoursourcetype]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20
TIME_FORMAT = %Y/%m/%d-%H:%M:%S

This should extract the timestamp from newly indexed logs (will not change what is already indexed). It depends on the timestamp being contained within the first 20 characters of the log event.

View solution in original post

lukejadamec
Super Champion

On the indexer, you should create or add to the splunk\etc\system\local\props.conf configuration file. I recommend something like this:

props.conf

[yoursourcetype]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20
TIME_FORMAT = %Y/%m/%d-%H:%M:%S

This should extract the timestamp from newly indexed logs (will not change what is already indexed). It depends on the timestamp being contained within the first 20 characters of the log event.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

When you run a search that pulls the events (without a timestamp) you should see the sourcetype identified at the bottom of each event, and in the list to the left. That is the string you want to use. It will tell Splunk which sourcetype to apply the configuration too.

0 Karma

src053
Engager

I think the content in the square brackets can be discarded. Is the [yoursourcetype] supposed to be the name of the file?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Yes, Splunk does a smashing job of ingesting timestamps. But, it needs to know what to look for, what do you have in the square brackets?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...