Getting Data In

Testing props.conf file of app in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/my_app/local

kuokhoet

I am having some issues breaking a multiline event properly. Each event starts with a 'Date ...' string that I can use as an event break so I used the web app to create a sourcetype that uses the regex Date.* to separate out the event. I loaded some dummy data events and they were all broken into 1 line each instead of the entire event of 10+ lines.

I've played with the splunk cli test sourcetype but could not figure out how to specify the app context. Is there a way to test out the app's .conf file besides loading and reloading my test data in? I'm doing all of this on a single server instance.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

kuokhoet

Here's a generic template for the event. The "Date/Time" line is where I'd like to break the events.

Date/Time: mm/dd/YY HH:MM:SS AM/PM
Field :
Field :
Field :

Raw data:
[hex]
[hex]
[hex]

0 Karma

afamoyib
Path Finder

I make use of notepad ++ to test regex i develop. One other thing i will suggest is having your own personal playground, and deploy logs to that playground under the new sourcetype. You can always just wipe the index of your own playground when you are done with it

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi kuokhoet,
having an example of your logs I'd help you better.
Anyway, if your date start from the beginning of a log event, put in your props, in the stanza of the related sourcetype:

TIME_PREFIX = ^
TIME_FORMAT = your_format

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi
Can you share sample events and configurations for breakline?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...