Getting Data In

Tailing MSSql Database Datetime Problem

gjohnson

I am trying to tail an MSSql Database that contains trouble tickets. I pull everything in Key/Value pairs. The DateCreated field is a datetime in MSSql, but when the data shows up in Splunk it shows up as a decimal number "1834239.3423" - how can I get Splunk to properly recognize this as a datetime without writing my own polling script?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Hello,

I used to have the same issue, just try configuring like that your dbx inputs.conf:

[dbmon-tail://MSSQL/MSSQL_Table1]
index = mssqlindex
interval = 120
output.format = kv
output.timestamp = 1
output.timestamp.column = LastModifiedUTC
output.timestamp.parse.format = yyyy-MM-dd' 'HH:mm:ss' 'Z
output.timestamp.format = yyyy-MM-dd' 'HH:mm:ss' 'Z
query = SELECT convert(varchar,s.LastModified,120) + ' +0000' AS LastModifiedUTC, LastModified, any other column FROM table1 WHERE foo=bar {{AND $rising_column$ > ?}}
sourcetype = mssqltail
table = table1
tail.rising.column = LastModified
disabled = 0

You need to stop restart splunk or "reload inputs". Unfortunately you can't do that using the GUI as the GUI doesn't offers the option to configure output.timestamp.parse.format.

Hope it helps.

0 Karma

gjohnson

I would like it if someone could tell me which ".conf" file I could put an eval stanza in to do the same thing so I don't have to do this on every single search line for all the date fields I want to convert...

Is the props.conf file the right place to eval the date to something readable or is that only for changing it before it gets indexed?

Thanks

0 Karma

gjohnson

So I think I was tripping over my own feet. I have a stanza in the props.conf file that tries to Eval the date field - but that never worked. At the same time I was trying to run an Eval or a Convert function on the command line FOR THE SAME FIELD... This was failing. When I tried the Eval on the command line for a different date field it worked like a charm. So I am stripping all of the stanza's from the props.conf files and will use this on the command line for searches:

| eval A_Time=strftime(DateOpened,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Question 2: The Splunk event can have only one "_time", which is the default one you use when search for a time range, or last 24h for example.

If you have more dates and want to use it, you can simply convert it to _time, like: "search foo bar | eval _time=secondary_datetime".

Or you might want to convert the stored epoch format into something more readable using "| convert timeformat="%F %T" ctime(secondary_datetime)". But would definitely store it in epoch format as is easier to manipulate before convert to human format.

0 Karma

musskopf
Builder

Question 1: The Tail process need a id or date or anything incremental. The "?" is to be left like that. The DBX stores the last value at "splunk//var//lib//splunk//persistentstorage//dbx//" and use it for the next time it query the DB

0 Karma

gjohnson

Last question - I have successfully brought the data into splunk from the database and established the CreatedDate and gotten it in the right format - but I have multiple date fields and the other fields are still showing up in Epoch format - not date time - how do I change them?

0 Karma

gjohnson

Two other follow-on questions then. I have multiple date fields, is it possible to add multiple "output.timestamp.column" fields in comma delimited so they pickup the .parse.format format command? Also, if I am tailing a database do I need the {{AND $rising_coumn$ > ?}} and if so, what do I replace the "?" with? I thought the tail command would generate and maintain the value itself?

TIA

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...