Getting Data In

Syslog (Snare) WinEvent and Heavy Forwarder without UF on syslog

mlinde
Explorer

So I'm trying to get to a HEC/syslog type environment. Please don't tell me that sending WinEvents via syslog is dumb. I have a global policy issue at work where all log data must be collected and stored in syslog for 2 years, and that includes my WinEvents. Here's my situation. I have a syslog-ng (3.13) server that receives Snare WIndows Events. It then sends on data to a splunk Heavy Forwarder (currently using the stock syslog "log {};" command). I've installed both the Snare Explanded Syslog TA and the Splunk_Windows TA (6.0) on the HF and the SH. I have also modified the inputs and props for the Windows TA to enable the data I want and do some cleanup (I did read setup for the Windows TA).

However, my data in the SH is still listed with the correct host (in this example a domain controller), the source is the TCP port I'm receiving data on in splunk, and the sourcetype is syslog. Not snare_syslog, not winevent_syslog (or whatever that sourcetype is).

I'm confused and stuck. Even if I migrate to a syslog-http-HEC environment (it's in dev right now) how do I get splunk to properly format the incoming data with extracted fields and the correct sourcetype in this design?

Labels (3)

mlinde
Explorer

Also, I get no field extraction at all (I couldn't figure out how to go back and edit the original post)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...