Getting Data In

Stricter search gives me more results...what?

rlough
Path Finder

I have a query that looks like this

index=*ind* ((source=*src1.log field=NAME) OR (source=*src1.log field=STRING)) | eventstats count(eval(field=="NAME")) AS f1 count(eval(field=="STRING")) AS f2 by users | where f1 < 1 AND f2 > 0 | dedup users | table users

The above returns something like 2000 statistics, but when I remove AND f2 > 0 and query along the exact same timeframe I get around 100 less statistics.

Why would making a search stricter ever return more results? This doesn't make sense.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hortonew
Builder

I think it might be treating that as a single expression rather than two separate expressions.

Either try: where (f1 < 1) AND (f2 > 0)
or
where f1 < 1 | where f2 > 0

and see what the results look like

View solution in original post

hortonew
Builder

I think it might be treating that as a single expression rather than two separate expressions.

Either try: where (f1 < 1) AND (f2 > 0)
or
where f1 < 1 | where f2 > 0

and see what the results look like

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...