Getting Data In

Spot permissions denied errors- How could I spot this issue in the first place ?

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello Splunkers,

I faced the following issue :

I deployed an app on a UF, this app should monitor a specific file in my machine let's say /<my_file>

The thing is I'm running Splunk service as a non root user (splunk user) and this user does not have permission to read this file. I know how to solve this with setfacl command, but how could I spot this issue in the first place ?

I thought that this permission error would have been visible in splunkd.log but it's not the case... I am trying to find a way to monitor the other possible "permissions denied" errors without manually log in as the splunk user and try to open the specific files.

Thanks a lot,

GaetanVP

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @GaetanVP,

you can search "permission denied" in _internal index for that host in Splunk Search & Reporting App.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @GaetanVP,

you can search "permission denied" in _internal index for that host in Splunk Search & Reporting App.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

GaetanVP
Contributor

Hello @gcusello,

Good guess, I indeed have "Permission denied" in some WARN message (failed to open for checksum - for a .gz file)

But I also have the following string "Reason: cannot_open" (this time it is for a single file) 

I suppose there is different string to search based on the type of files / folder, but your answer helped, thanks !

GaetanVP

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...