Getting Data In

Splunk not reading the new file created after 2 months

ankithnageshshe
Path Finder

Hello Splunkers,

I have a situation where in a log file is created by the application after a long duration of 2 months.

I found no error in splunkd log for this specific file. Neither I found "WatchedFile" event for this file.
I'm sure that the issue is not due to initcrclen or crcSALT as the log file is new and splunkd log does not have any information on this.

After restarting the agent I finally get the following splunkd log info

06-28-2018 15:20:24.560 -0400 INFO WatchedFile - Checksum for seekptr didn't match, will re-read entire file='XXX.log'

However the old data is still not indexed and I do not have new data flowing in to the log file.

Can some one explain this situation.

Regards,
Ankith

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to adjust MAX_DAYS_AGO to cover your span, clear the fishbucket, and then restart the UF.

0 Karma

ankithnageshshe
Path Finder

Hello Woodcock,

Thanks for the reply.
I figured out that the issue is not due to the "ignoreolderthan" attribute as the issue appeared again.

It happened that splunk even skipped to watch one of the newly created file ( logs rotated every hour) without any error on the log file.

There is no configuration issue/ permission issue /port /network issue as other log file on the same path is read by the splunk. Also since rotation is 1 hour , ignoreolderthan attribute will not come in to picture.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes, with ignoreOlderThan, once a file is ignored from monitoring, it will stay ignored (won't be monitored) even if it gets some new data. When you restart Splunk, it re-evaluates the monitoring that needs to be done and will pick that file if it still newer than the ignoreOlderThan setting.

ankithnageshshe
Path Finder

Hi Somesoni2,

Thanks for the clarification. I'm trying to understand why splunk has not indexed the data even after the restart.
Situation: April 8th last log flow (after this file is rotated)
June 26th new log flow
Splunk doesnt perform watchedfile on this file.
After restart splunk performs watchedfile on this from the beginning of the file but the earlier data is not indexed.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Are you monitoring the rolled log files? (check the [monitor:// in your inputs.conf). If you're not, those files will not be monitored/indexed.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

can you share the inputs.conf?
do you have: ignoreOlderThan attribute there?

ankithnageshshe
Path Finder

Hello Adonio,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have a parameter ignoreOlderThan= 14 days.
Is this the cause?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...