Getting Data In

Splunk not indexing new hosts

ptierney

I've added new servers that are pushing their syslogs to my splunk host. The messages are getting properly routed to /var/log/messages. If I tail the file, I see my new hosts appearing in the messages file, but they don't appear in a splunk search. Existing hosts from the same file are getting updated with new messages. What am I missing here?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If your sourcetype is syslog, then the host field will be extracted from the event (not from the splunk forwarder host name)

verify with
index=/var/log/* | stats values(sourcetype) count by host

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

And I reiterate... if you are filtering the sourcetype syslog with specific routing by host you are going to have to account for the new ones...
But you should see them with yannK's suggestion, unless there is a very strict routing and filtering happening where non matching things get tossed. Just something to consider if all logical attempts to see them fail... start looking for the possibility that there are other steps required to add new hosts. Especially if there is more than one admin at your installation...

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Oh, very good yuvalba... I should have said that to. 🙂

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!

yuvalba
Path Finder

What search are you using?

It could be that the messages format from this new host are different and the host name is not prased correctly by Splunk.

Do you see the messages if you search only based on the source:
source=/var/log/messages

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would imagine that if you have added another host to the file but it isn't appearing in Splunk, that the Splunk config has some very specific Routing and Filtering somewhere that is handling the existing hosts one at a time.

And your new hostname isn't matching any of the existing patterns,so it isn't getting sent anywhere. Probably in order to route them to particular sourcetypes to then have fields extracted, etc. $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf and trasnsforms.conf

0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

How is that source configured in Splunk? Have you restarted Splunk to ensure it's operating correctly?

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...