Getting Data In

Splunk ignores date time range after a few queries

enverb

I've been having this weird problem where Splunk suddenly starts to ignore the date-time ranges I enter after executing a few queries.

At first, I can search fine and changing the date time works perfectly. Then after X number of search queries, I suddenly get the message "Waiting for queued job to start. Manage jobs."

When I go to the jobs page, I can see the exact query that I entered but what I also notice is that the date time range says "[01/01/1970 00:00:00.000 to 01/01/1970 01:00:00.000]".

If I then go on and kill the job and change the date and time, I get the exact same problem; I can never seem to change the date range from "[01/01/1970 00:00:00.000 to 01/01/1970 01:00:00.000]" to the range I want.

Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

tomy8s
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

We have a user who's experiencing the same problem. Whatever he seems to do, his searches are always queued with the date range set to "[01/01/1970 00:00:00.000 to 01/01/1970 01:00:00.000]".

I'd really appreciate if you have any ideas to help. 🙂

0 Karma

tomy8s
Loves-to-Learn Lots

We found the problem: The user had exceeded his disk usage quota.

And the fix: He went into his jobs and deleted a few, and then it worked.

Hope this helps anyone in future!

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

If you wait for the job to run, instead of killing it, does it run with the correct time range?

0 Karma

enverb

To be honest, I haven't had the patience to wait for the job to finish.
Are you suggesting this might be happening due to rate limits and it only starts calculating the date and time after the job has started?

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

That's my guess, yes. I have had jobs queue and when they run they're correct.

On a side note if you are having a lot of issues with jobs being queued you should look into your search quotas: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/155276/why-are-we-getting-message-waiting-for-queued-job-to-start...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...