Getting Data In

Splunk - Universal forwarder

macwin
Explorer

How can I define a custom source type with in universal forwarder so that it can be seen in splunk indexer?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You will want to set that on the input.

Example:

[monitor:///var/log/syslog]
sourcetype = MY_SOURCETYPE
disabled = false

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/5.0/Admin/Inputsconf

0 Karma

macwin
Explorer

The thing is, I can see the logs under automated sourcetype. I want to get these logs under my sourcetype.

output.conf file has all the necessary contents as I can see logs remotely.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have outputs configured to send the data to the indexer? Also, the file name is inputs.conf that should go in that folder. make sure you have the s in there.

0 Karma

macwin
Explorer

I have installed windows splunk forwarder.Splunk indexer is on some other machine altogether. Then in \etc\system\local created a file called input.conf. The conetent of the file is :

[monitor://C:\testlogs]
sourcetype = ForwarderSourceType
source = ForwarderSource
disabled = false

Restarted forwarder and splunk indexer. But this entry is not coming in splunk indexer.

0 Karma

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What file are you putting that in? Could you post the input configuration please? Thanks!

0 Karma

macwin
Explorer

It does not work. Do I need to check in any other location?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...