Getting Data In

Splunk Insights for Infrastructure - Data Logs

ric878
Explorer

Hi, I recently installed Splunk Insights for Infrastructure on a virtual machine. After going through the setup process I proceeded to setup my first entity. I copied and pasted the generated script, modified it to ignore certificate errors and after a couple of minutes it was available in Splunk. Problem is that I'm only getting metrics data from collectd, but I do not see any log information.

I followed the troubleshooting information found here http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Infrastructure/1.0.1/Admin/Troubleshooting but was not able to resolve my issue. I can confirm that the Splunk forwarder is online, and that port 9997 is not blocked. On the SII machine, I see a repeated error in the splunk.log file:

06-11-2018 01:34:47.616 -0500 ERROR LMStack - Invalid License with infinite byte quota with non-infinite max_stack_quota byte, set the effective stack size to the min between them
06-11-2018 01:34:47.616 -0500 ERROR LMStack - Invalid License with infinite byte quota with non-infinite max_stack_quota byte, set the effective stack size to the min between them
06-11-2018 01:34:58.616 -0500 ERROR LMStack - Invalid License with infinite byte quota with non-infinite max_stack_quota byte, set the effective stack size to the min between them
06-11-2018 01:34:58.616 -0500 ERROR LMStack - Invalid License with infinite byte quota with non-infinite max_stack_quota byte, set the effective stack size to the min between them

I'm not sure if that is related at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ricardo

Tags (1)

degreeds
Engager

Same problem - I can see logs in console but not in the interface
host count
srv-ad-1 55235
[root@srv-splunk bin]#,Same problem - I can see logs in console but not on the interface

host count
srv-ad-1 55235
[root@srv-splunk bin]#

0 Karma

ric878
Explorer

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Karma

ntankersley_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Was this installed on an instance with an existing splunk install?

Did you install any other licenses than the default license that came with the Splunk Insights for Infrastructure package?

0 Karma

ric878
Explorer

Clean install on a new virtual machine. No other previous Splunk software. Should I just destroy the VM and try again?

0 Karma

ntankersley_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I don't think the errors for the license are associated. Let's check for log files on the instance. In the command line go to $SPLUNK_HOME/splunk/bin and run

./splunk search "index=main | stats count by host" and see what comes out. You should see the same host with a count of logs collected. If nothing returns then you aren't getting any data in and we'll have to try something different.

0 Karma

ric878
Explorer

Okay, I ran the command and I do not see any hosts and log counts. It would seem that I am not getting any logs into the SII instance.

Also, just to be 100% sure, I deleted the VM and started over, re-added the machine I wanted to monitor and came up with the same results, I'm getting metrics but no logs. I also ran the command again and again did not see any hosts and log counts.

I've double check the firewall on the SII instance and confirmed that I have the following ports open:

Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

0 Karma

ric878
Explorer

Hi,

After my attempted reinstall, I went back and ran the command again to double check and to my surprise, I see two hosts with index data. I still do not see logs in the interface but it would seem the SII instance is getting the log data. Maybe I tried to soon after adding a host. So, one step closer but still no log data visible in the web GUI.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...