Getting Data In

Splunk Cooked Data

arlombar
Explorer

Hello, I am in the process of setting up a new TCP input to pull DNS/DHCP logs from a vendor product. This product has Splunk built in and can act as a UF. I've setup a standard TCP connection and when I look at the logs on my search head, they are all showing as "splunk-cooked-data" (example below).

--splunk-cooked-mode-v3--\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00

This was my config:

[tcp://9082]
index=dns
sourcetype=dns:query
disabled=0

I then tried this config based on reading some Splunk docs:

[splunktcp://9082]
index=dns
disabled=0

But the above failed as well.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

0 Karma
1 Solution

amitm05
Builder

I think you are experiencing the same problem as observed here -
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/178485/why-am-i-getting-cooked-mode-v3-data-testing-tcp-i.html

Please validate you settings for the accepted answer in the above post.
OR else we might want to look at more errors/warns from _internal index specific to the ports you are using.

Please mark as accepted answer if this solves your problem.

View solution in original post

amitm05
Builder

I think you are experiencing the same problem as observed here -
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/178485/why-am-i-getting-cooked-mode-v3-data-testing-tcp-i.html

Please validate you settings for the accepted answer in the above post.
OR else we might want to look at more errors/warns from _internal index specific to the ports you are using.

Please mark as accepted answer if this solves your problem.

arlombar
Explorer

Unless I am missing something I looked at the linked discussion and having everything configured the same way as far as I can tell.

This setup is like so:
HF inputs.conf
[splunktcp://9082]
index=dns

HF outputs.conf:
[tcpout:indexer_group]
server= indexer1:9997, indexer2:9997, indexer3:9997

tcpout includes this indexer group

I've looked through the splunk logs around this port and I don't see anything, but standard connections. All info messages.

Do I need to set something else up on the indexers to catch this? I am under the impression that my first input pulls the cooked logs from the vendors UF and sends to the HF. As for the output group it, this is the standard servers we use to send to all of our indexers (default).

0 Karma

amitm05
Builder

Am I right in understanding that your forwarding goes like:
Vendor product (with Splunk UF) ---> Splunk HF ----> Splunk Indexer

If yes, I do not see a point of placing an HF in between. You can directly configure your outputs to indexers from the Vendor Product Splunk UF.
Because additional hops can definitely cause cooked data messages.

0 Karma

arlombar
Explorer

Yes you are correct. The reason I want to point at our HF is that we have 50+ indexers and the owner of this vendor product will need to point at all of my indexers and they have to setup all of the normal inputs that we as the Splunk admins would control.

For example, I have no control over the inputs including index name, sourcetype, host, etc. and as I stated previously, I would need to provide all of my indexers to the vendor admin to configure. I was hoping that if I can send this data to a HF I can control all of the above and include load balancing that is native to Splunk.

If this is not possible please let me know

0 Karma

amitm05
Builder

2 things I'd suggest you to double check -

1. Check that your HF isn't indexing the data as well because that'll definitely mark the data as cooked. It is less likely but it is definitely something to be checked.

2. Is it possible for you to configure one of your Univ forwarders to send the data directly to your indexers. This will make sure that an additional hop at HF is the reason.

0 Karma

arlombar
Explorer

Thanks for your suggestions, after more testing with my customer and looking over the wire we could see there was an issue with our firewall. We made some adjustments and the data is coming in now in the correct format.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...