Getting Data In

Splunk App for Windows Infrastructure default index issue

token2
Path Finder

I have the latest SA-LDAP, Splunk_TA_Windows and Windows Infra apps installed.  I have sourcetype WinHostMon data coming in, but the Infrastructure app guided setup says it is not detected.

I jumped over to one of the infra dashboards and all panels have "No results found" >> Host Monitoring - Operations >> Disk Free Space Distribution and opened that in search.  By simply inputting index=windows the search then works.

Where does the app designate the default index it's searches refer to?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @token2,

the easiest way is to do this by gui in [Settings -- Roles -- your_role -- indexes].

If you want to do this in .conf file, open: %SPLYNK_HOME/etc/system/local/authorize.conf and in the stanza of you role add (if there isn't) or modify the option srchIndexesDefault.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: if this answer solves your need, please accept it fot the other people of Community or tell me how can I help you more (and Karma Points are apprecited 😉 )

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @token2,

at first see if you have logs in the indexes where logs are stored: If you haven't results, there's a problem in log ingestion.

If instead you have results, open a search of one panel in Search, then add index="win*" to the main search and see if you have results: probably the indexes where logs are stored isn't in the default search path.

If this is the problem you have two choices:

• add those indexes to the default path for the roles you're using,
  • modify all the eventtypes adding the indexes.

First solution is quicher to resolve but I don't like because your searches are slower.

I prefer the second solution even if is longer to implement but is more performant.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

token2
Path Finder

@gcusello I get results if I input index=win* (in this case its index=windows).  

How does one go about changing the default path for the role via .conf files?  I see it in the GUI:

Settings >> Authentication Methods (because using LDAP in this case) >> LDAP Settings >> Map groups >> Edit LDAP group name user is affected by, added "winfra-admin".

Where is this found inside of the Splunk file system?  

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @token2,

the easiest way is to do this by gui in [Settings -- Roles -- your_role -- indexes].

If you want to do this in .conf file, open: %SPLYNK_HOME/etc/system/local/authorize.conf and in the stanza of you role add (if there isn't) or modify the option srchIndexesDefault.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

P.S.: if this answer solves your need, please accept it fot the other people of Community or tell me how can I help you more (and Karma Points are apprecited 😉 )

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...