Getting Data In

Setting a maximum limit on a monitored file

genemats
Engager

We just had an application bug that spewed millions of duplicate messages into a Splunk monitored logfile. This caused a license violation to be triggered, before anyone could do anything about it.

In order to prevent this type of violation from happening we are considering putting a hard limit on the maximum logfile size Splunk can index. Most of our logfiles are normally apx < 300MB daily. So if we have a logfile that has > 500MB, we want to ignore anything else that is logged to the file after 500MB.

Is it possible to put such a hard byte limit on a monitored logfile or input source?

I've seen some answers that suggested putting a maxKBps datatransfer per second limit (in limits.conf), this one option, but perhaps some other option in Splunk could be used as well?

Tags (4)

tony_luu
Path Finder

same question here.

0 Karma

krish3
Contributor

Hi,

I have same situation i need to know is there a option for setting limit on a individual source or sourcetype??

thanks.

0 Karma

svarun

Any updates here? I am facing the same issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...