Getting Data In

Selective Filtered Indexing and Forwarding to 3rd party syslog

archme
Explorer

Hello,

Our setup is as follows:

Windows/Unix UF -> HF -> IDX Clusters

Currently we are sending everything to IDX cluster and 1 copy of the logs to a 3rd party syslog server from the HF.

What we are trying to achieve is to send everything to the 3rd party syslog server and only send filtered logs to the idx clusters.

Given the scenario of the following sourcetype:
a) wineventlog
b) linux_secure
c) cisco:asa

I am trying to figure out how we can :
a) Send everything to the 3rd party syslog
b) Drop events with the eventcode 4624 for example in wineventlog from being send to indexer.
c) Only send events with "ssh" keyword for example in linux_secure to the indexer. Other events in linux_secure sourcetype should not be sent to the indexer.
d) send all cisco:asa events to the indexer.

mydog8it
Builder

Event filtering is one of the primary reasons to use an HF as an intermediate forwarder. Your license is not impacted until data reaches the IDX. Why not blacklist the undesired traffic there?

0 Karma

archme
Explorer

Hi

I am thinking of putting the following on the HF

outputs.conf

[tcpout]
defaultGroup = primary_indexers

### this setting will send all the logs to third party syslog server. This setting seems to be working fine.

[syslog]
 defaultGroup = EverythingtoSyslog
 [syslog:EverythingtoSyslog]
 #sendCookedData=false
 server=1.2.3.4:514
 type=udp
 maxEventSize=5096

props.conf

# For wineventlog sourcetype , i tried to put the following plus the transforms below..but it did not drop the event.

[wineventlog]
TRANSFORMS-set=wineventlog-setnull,wineventlog-setparsing

transforms.conf

### this following setting should drop  events with the eventcode 4624 for example in wineventlog from being send to indexer. The rest of the logs should be sent to primary_indexers. This should not conflict with linux_secure or cisco filtering

# For wineventlog sourcetype , i tried to put the following plus the props above..but it did not drop the event.  

[wineventlog-setparsing]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT =  indexQueue

[wineventlog-setnull]
REGEX=EventCode=(4624)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

### the following setting should Only send events with "ssh" keyword for example in linux_secure to the indexer. Other events in linux_secure sourcetype should not be sent to the indexer. This should not conflict with the wineventlog or cisco filtering.

not sure what to put here

### This should send all cisco:asa events to the indexer. This should not conflict with the above 2 settings.

not sure what to put here

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...