Getting Data In

Securing communcation between Universal Forwarder and Heavy Forwarder

rwcbp
Explorer

Splunk Docs do not specifically state that default encryption is active between Universal Forwarders and Heavy Forwarders, is it?

Also, if a self-signed or third party cert is used for this environment, is the Universal Forwarder the "client" of the Heavy Forwarder in this example?

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By default, no, there is no crypto between forwarders and indexers or forwarders and intermediate forwarders.

If you choose to do encryption, the certificate situation is up to you. However, I would STRONGLY suggest use of either a private CA or 3rd party certs. Don't use the default self-signed stuff. George Starcher and I did a .conf talk on this subject at .conf 2014, should be able to find it in the talk archives.

In the case of UF -> HF -> Indexer, the UF is an "SSL Client", the HF Is both an SSL "server" (toward the UF) and an SSL "client" (toward the indexer), and the indexer is an SSL "server"

View solution in original post

karthikeyan_k14

In the case of UF -> HF -> Indexer, the UF is an "SSL Client", the HF Is both an SSL "server" (toward the UF) and an SSL "client" (toward the indexer), and the indexer is an SSL "server"...

we are also deploying the same setup, but HF is in cluster mode for LB with fail over setup.
can anyone help the SSL certificate configuration of all (UF,HF and IDX) input.conf and output,conf. We are deployed 3rd party pki certificate. using Common name fro all Forwarders,IDX and DS

I need below answers for below queries
1. Have to initiate separate certificate for all forwarders with rootpath ? or same has to use in ssl client and server
2. please share sample configuration

0 Karma

rwcbp
Explorer

Thanks for the quick response. I will search for the .conf 2014 discussion, as well.

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By default, no, there is no crypto between forwarders and indexers or forwarders and intermediate forwarders.

If you choose to do encryption, the certificate situation is up to you. However, I would STRONGLY suggest use of either a private CA or 3rd party certs. Don't use the default self-signed stuff. George Starcher and I did a .conf talk on this subject at .conf 2014, should be able to find it in the talk archives.

In the case of UF -> HF -> Indexer, the UF is an "SSL Client", the HF Is both an SSL "server" (toward the UF) and an SSL "client" (toward the indexer), and the indexer is an SSL "server"

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just remembered, I posted a copy of the slides post .conf with some followup comments based on audience questions at http://duanewaddle.com/splunk-conf-2014/

0 Karma

rwcbp
Explorer

Much appreciated. Certainly saves time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...