Getting Data In

Searching events for a specific host, why are we getting results for 2 hosts: one upper case hostname and one lower case?

umang_solanki

Hello,

In our Splunk Enterprise, we have created a customized indexer. We are trying to get certain events of a specific host, but as soon as we type index="Event_Logs" host=WindowServer in Search, we get the results of 2 hosts with the same host name.
1. WINDOWSERVER (UPPER_CASE)
2. windowserver (lower_case)

The count appearing in the Search results is different.

Any idea about this behavior?

Appreciate your help.

== Umang Solanki

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is problem is primarily a windows problem in that it frequently will ALL-CAPS hostnames but sometimes leave it the way you configured it. You could modify the hostname in Windows to be ALL-CAPS OR you can override the host at index time OR deal with it at search time like this:

index="Event_Logs" host=WindowServer | eval host=upper(host)

Don't forget about the domain problem, too. Here is a good discussion on that and more details, too:

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/28879/host-value-for-windows.html

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

what are the two source/sourcetypes. I am guessing one is scripted input.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...