Getting Data In

Safe TRUNCATE value on json events

andreibanaru
Explorer

What would be a “safe” value for the TRUNCATE option in props.conf?

I have some pretty big json events coming via HEC hitting the _json sourcetype (INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS=json).

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"Safe" is a relative term.  To avoid all event truncations, the "safe" setting is TRUNCATE = 0, but that runs the risk of multiple events that are not line-broken correctly being ingested as a single event without warning.

Another "safe" approach is to set TRUNCATE to a reasonable value based on the expected event size plus a margin for error (maybe 10%).  If the logs indicate an event was truncated then investigate to see if the line-breaking settings should be changes or if the TRUNCATE setting should be increase.  Adjust and repeat.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...