Getting Data In

Referencing Multiple hosts in Props.conf

mattsutton
Explorer

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a single props.conf stanza that looks for multiple hosts? I've checked the props.conf spec and example files and had a look around Splunk answers but can't seem to find anything about it, although it seems as though it's possible for multiple sources. What I want to do is something like this:

[host::(192.168.2.52)|(192.168.69.15)|(winxp01)]

TRANSFORMS-null = transform-to-null

This would then reference the following stanza in transforms.conf:

[transform-to-null]

REGEX = .

DEST_KEY = queue

FORMAT = nullQueue

Which would of course send all of the events to the nullQueue, has anyone managed to achieve this?

Thanks,
Matt

behlkush
Path Finder

This worked for me:

[host::(10.3.4.2|10.12.3.4|IP3|IP4|and_so_on)]

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Yes, it can be done. According to the props.conf documentation it can be a single host, or a host matching pattern. Generally, when they say 'matching pattern' they mean regex, so in your case it would be something like this:

[host::(192\.168\.2\.52|192\.168\.69\.15|winxp01)]

But, I've never tried it.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

I'm going to venture a guess based on the docs that the period is not one of the available regex type operators, so that means they don't need to be escaped. Did you try this:
[host::(192.168.2.52|192.168.69.15|winxp01)]

anwarmian
Communicator

They don't need to be escaped. Splunk props.conf document should show some examples.

0 Karma

spunk311z
Path Finder

can anyone help with this,  i cant find any clear examples in the props.conf docs,  and i cant get this to work in props.conf  (ive tried many different variations and many escaping techniques ).

[source::(udp:8002|udp:8009|udp:8012)]

EXTRACT-blah......

any of them alone, ofcouse work as intended (ie [source::udp:8002] works)

[source::udp:80**] works but covers too many

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

I found this post where one of the answers explains that you can use some "regex type operators" including pipe as or bounded by ().
http://answers.splunk.com/answers/24274/can-you-have-a-wildcard-in-a-propsconf-stanza-header-when-ma...

I also found more information in the props.conf doc under
**[<spec>] stanza patterns:**

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.2/Admin/Propsconf

0 Karma

mattsutton
Explorer

Q quick brush up on regex confirms that, still can't seem to get it working though 😞 it has no problem filtering data for two individual hosts but once I make the host this|that or doesn't like it, I'll keep trying some things.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

No I believe that lukejadamec is right. If it is regex based, it should most likely be (this|that).

0 Karma

mattsutton
Explorer

Thanks for your reply lukejadamec. I've already tried things like this but don't seem to have gotten anywhere. At least I now know it's based on regex which I'd forgotten originally! Also I'm not entirely sure which stanza would work anyway, since from my experience with regex I think it would need to be (this)|(that) as oppose to (this|that).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...