Getting Data In

Redundancy in Data Using UF

tahaahmed354
Loves-to-Learn

I am using a single universal forwarder on my windows machine to send a log file to my Splunk host machine deployed on Ubuntu. 

The problem is that there were 3 logs events initially in the file, and splunk read those events and displayed on the dashboard. But when I appended the same file and added 10 more events manually, the dashboard is giving out 16 log events when there are only 13 events in the log file. its is reading the first three logs twice. How to resolve this issue?  

Labels (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @tahaahmed354 

Looks like you may have mistakenly configured the read from beginning everytime. 

To Troubleshoot this issue, could you please copy paste the inputs.conf from your windows UF (only the required portion is enough, remove any sensitive values), thanks. 

0 Karma

tahaahmed354
Loves-to-Learn

Sure, here is the configuration of my inputs.conf file

[tcpout:// <ip-address>:<port>]

[monitor://C:\Users\admin\Desktop\practicelogs.txt]

disabled = 0
index = practicelogs
sourcetype = practicelogs

i didnt understand what yo meant by read from beginning. can you please elaborate on that, Thanks.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please add this to your inputs.conf and restart Splunk Service on UF.

crcSalt = <SOURCE>

and update the test log, then check if the Splunk indexer still have redundant logs. 

regarding the "read from beginning", i was bit confused with the other topic today morning.. monitoring the archive files. more details here:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.2/Data/Monitorfilesanddirectories

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...