Getting Data In

Python scripts invoked by the Splunk Forwarder never exit

alekksi
Communicator

Hi guys,

I'm using the Splunk Universal Forwarder (v5.0.3 - same as our Splunk enterprise; hopefully we are updating to 6.1 soon) to invoke python scripts which pull data from a specific source and output it over stdout to Splunk.

Currently the scripts seem to never end. They sit there in perpetuity without ever finishing. Below is the ps -ef of the running script, fifteen minutes after execution.

root 12360 12332 0 14:47 ? 00:00:00 python /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/PerfStat/bin/perfStatImpl.py

Script is relatively straightforward, but here is a pared down version, removing unnecessary code:

try:

[...]

command = Popen(my_object.getCommand(),shell=True, stdout=PIPE)

my_parse = sarparser.sarParser(argv[1], sar_gen.getDate())

my_parse.parse(command)

my_parse.output()

except:

[...]

exit(2)

exit(0)

Does anyone have any ideas? I've had this process (non-)running for almost an hour now, yet nothing has been output to Splunk! I can tell the script has completed as the log files have fully completed.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

alekksi
Communicator

Resolved now -- forwarder had some dodgy config (I blame ITSec 🙂 and splunk was crapping out accepting the amount of data I was throwing at it. Fixing the config and reducing the amount of data at one time sorted this out.

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

Here are a couple of ideas:

1 - what happens if you simply execute the script from the command line?

cd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/yourapp/bin
./yourscript.py

2 - what happens if you ask Splunk to execute the script in its environment?

cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin
./splunk cmd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/yourapp/bin/yourscript.py

My guess is that it will hang in one of those two scenarios as well, but this should help you debug.

alekksi
Communicator

Turns out that Splunk is taking issue with the amount of data I'm feeding it at once. It processes ~7-10 thousand lines before it just gives up on it.

0 Karma

alekksi
Communicator

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately both of them return the expected output. Even the process spawned by splunk for the script has the correct string which works if run. I've even rewritten the script slightly to use the .communicate() function which apparently reduces potential deadlocks.

Very confused.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...