Getting Data In

Problem with removing spaces using sed - with <> characters present

Ttreb
<Update> <data> <user> <dialogs>/finesse/api/User/72741/Dialogs</dialogs> <extension></extension> <firstName>Bert</firstName> <lastName>Smith</lastName>

Trying to remove the spaces between > and <

I have tried the following - several of the patterns I have tried work fine on REgex testing sites but fail for use in Splunk

I started using ZZ just as a marker to see what effect the replace was having as using >< seems to fail in any use. I checked and the charaters >< are not regex special characters

| rex field=myraw mode=sed "s/(> <)/ZZ/g" - No effect

| rex field=myraw mode=sed "s/(\W \W)/ZZ/g" - inconsistent replaces

<notification><Update>ZZ<data>ZZZZuser>ZZZZ <dialogs>/finesse/api/User/72741/Dialogs</dialogs>ZZZZ <extension>511835</extension>ZZZZ <firstName>Bert</firstName>ZZZZ <lastName>Smith</lastName>ZZZZ 

| rex field=myraw mode=sed "s/\x{3e} \x{3c}/ZZ/g" - no effect

Not sure now whether Splunk has issues with <> or what - its confusing that I can get this to work in several ways testing on regex sites.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@Ttreb ,

Try

|rex field=your_field_name mode=sed "s/>\s+<//g"
Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@Ttreb ,

Try

|rex field=your_field_name mode=sed "s/>\s+<//g"
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

Ttreb

Thanks for the response that does the trick - was driving me batty trying to work out - just couldn't nail the right pattern.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...