Getting Data In

Preferred placement of files to be monitored (which inputs.conf)

RVDowning
Contributor

My indexer is on Linux, but all the forwarders are on Windows. I've been putting the file names being monitored into the inputs.conf file in the MSICreated directories. Thought I should check to see which of the inputs.conf files is considered the "best practices" directory for listing such items.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure there is a best practice with regard to where you 'should' put your particular inputs so long as they work. It is generally less confusing when all configuration is done in a single place so precedence doesn't cause problems. File precedence with conf files that is a very important item to understand. The highest precedence is assigned to conf files located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/.

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles

View solution in original post

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Not sure there is a best practice with regard to where you 'should' put your particular inputs so long as they work. It is generally less confusing when all configuration is done in a single place so precedence doesn't cause problems. File precedence with conf files that is a very important item to understand. The highest precedence is assigned to conf files located in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/.

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/admin/Wheretofindtheconfigurationfiles

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...