Getting Data In

Performance issue

rakesh44
Communicator

I have 24 months of data from Jan 2017 to Nov 2018

I have count of 23900000 for year 2017
27900000 for year 2018

I need all required columns given in below query.

Index=test sourcetype=historical Period="Jan-17 | table rft period expenses ID transaction balance region area country

If i run above command to fetch one month of data , it takes more than 30 minutes.
how do i improve performance, I cannot try creating lookup & summary Indexing as data is huge , do we have any other option to expedite search query to run fast.Thanks

Tags (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Splunk is about matching and aggregation: turning haystacks into needles. It is not a haystack delivery system. You don't really need all umpty-kazillion events, right? You need to report something that you calculate or isolate about them right? Tell us what that thing is and we can help you get there. If you need haystacks moved and presented, then Splunk is the wrong tool.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

@rakesh44 - change table to fields and test again. table is not a streaming command, so it's causing all the data to be sent to the search head.

0 Karma

rakesh44
Communicator

Hi DalJeanis,

I have view data in tabular format to check & compare each events & hence i could not fields command.Do we have any alternate option for table commands.

Thanks

0 Karma

rakesh44
Communicator

Hi Daljeanis,

I have checked with fields command not that much improvement, which i expected .
Thanks

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@rakesh44 check out David Veuve 's .Conf Session for using Search Acceleration mechanisms:

https://conf.splunk.com/conf-online.html?search=FN120994#/

rakesh44
Communicator

@niketnilay , I dont used any reporting commands & hence it will not allow me to use report acceleration

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I think @adonio answer at Can we improve on a standard index=index_name sourcetype=*prod | stats query? can be applied in your case.

0 Karma

rakesh44
Communicator

That Information is not useful in my case

I need below columns in results

index=test sourcetype=historical Period="Jan-17 | table rft period expenses ID transaction balance region area country

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...