Getting Data In

Parsing long PowerShell sessions

henryyam
Explorer

How is everyone parsing these powershell transcriptions when a person leaves the shell open for multiple days?
In that case it shows the user who executed once, but there can be a hundred command starts spanning multiple days.

Is the consensus to capture this still as one event? Or do you have logic that breaks those into multiple events?

I have some transcripts files 30+MB in size.

Command start time: 20190522100828

PS>CommandInvocation(Get-ProvTask): "Get-ProvTask"

ParameterBinding(Get-ProvTask): name="AdminAddress"; value="google.com:80"
ParameterBinding(Get-ProvTask): name="MaxRecordCount"; value="2147483647"

Command start time: 20190522100830

PS>CommandInvocation(Get-BrokerCatalog): "Get-BrokerCatalog"
ParameterBinding(Get-BrokerCatalog): name="AdminAddress"; value="yahoo.com:80"
ParameterBinding(Get-BrokerCatalog): name="MaxRecordCount"; value="2147483647"
ParameterBinding(Get-BrokerCatalog): name="Property"; value="Uid, Name, MetadataMap, ProvisioningSchemeId, Scopes"

Tags (1)

henryyam
Explorer

I believe we can potentially link all these events based on the fact that they generate from the same source file.
I could probably go back and look up the original user. It just seems to be a cumbersome process.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Converted from answer to a new question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...