Getting Data In

Outputlookup creating csv with columns that are alphabetical?

maxsteel
Explorer

I have a search that gathers a bunch of data from various sources and appends to 1 big stats that I have reporting in a customized column order.
After I weed out some things I don't like, it looks perfect in search, so I appended a:
| outputlookup file.csv
to the very bottom so it'd write to a reusable csv.

When I look at the dataset/csv it is rearranging my columns into an alphabetical order (caps first).

Is there any way to keep my order in the csv so when I reference it later in an inputlookup I don't need to manually reorder it everytime?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

maxsteel
Explorer

So table "works" but it was too much to keep adding this logic as I have a few columns, and I didn't want to have to keep editing them everywhere as I add/remove them.

In the end, I fixed it differently (going to share how for the next person).  Instead of using a csv (that, once again, gets read in will alphabetize the columns (booooo!)) I leveraged a report!  It's probably a better way anyway.

Once the report was scheduled, I leverage it using 

loadjob savedseach="user:app:reportname" 

This preserves column order!!

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you have a table command in the query?  That's a sure way to set the order in which fields appear.

Why do you have to reorder fields following inputlookup?  Splunk doesn't care what the order is.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

maxsteel
Explorer

I leveraged stats to create the output in a specific order, not table.

It appears that the outputlookup is rearranging my reusable csv alphabetically and then when I call it later it's showing this new alphabetical order.

I'd rather it be in the same order as my stats so that I don't have to reorder every time I call the csv.

(you are right that splunk doesn't care about order, but I do 🙂 )

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try putting a table command before outputlookup to enforce the field order.  Not sure if it will help, but it might.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

maxsteel
Explorer

I was hoping to not have to create a table for each, hence the original question.  

That being said, if splunk likes to alphabetize outputlookup tables, then I guess I have to use a table and specify order each time.. yuk..

0 Karma

maxsteel
Explorer

So table "works" but it was too much to keep adding this logic as I have a few columns, and I didn't want to have to keep editing them everywhere as I add/remove them.

In the end, I fixed it differently (going to share how for the next person).  Instead of using a csv (that, once again, gets read in will alphabetize the columns (booooo!)) I leveraged a report!  It's probably a better way anyway.

Once the report was scheduled, I leverage it using 

loadjob savedseach="user:app:reportname" 

This preserves column order!!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...