Getting Data In

Output syslog to external system

skippylou
Communicator

So I setup syslog output forwarding per the Splunk docs, but am not seeing anything being sent out nor receiving it on the endpoint.

Here is what I have applied (and have tried w/o a props or transforms just like the example w/o success). This was done on the indexer itself, only light forwarders and tcp syslog servers send data into the indexer.

outputs.conf:

[syslog:webreports_syslog_group]
server = myhostname:514
type = tcp

transforms.conf:

[send_to_webreports]
DEST_KEY = _SYSLOG_ROUTING
FORMAT = webreports_syslog_group

props.conf:

[source::/data/logs/httpd/somesite/access*]
TRANSFORMS-weblog-matrix = send_to_webreports

In the metrics.log I see these entries:

08-19-2010 10:34:04.782 INFO Metrics - group=syslog_connections, webreports_syslog_group:myhostname:514:myhostname:514, sourcePort=8089, destIp=myhostname, destPort=514, _tcp_Bps=0.00, _tcp_KBps=0.00, _tcp_avg_thruput=0.00, _tcp_Kprocessed=0, _tcp_eps=0.00

So curious what the double hostname is in the group area? Not sure if this matters much as the destIP is probably what is used for the connection. I see the doubling up in that line regardless if i have hostname, fqdn or IP.

Also not sure why I see no data being sent out. External system is accessible on tcp/514 from this splunk server.

Thanks for insight.

scott

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I suspect your problem lies in transforms.conf. You appear to be missing REGEX = in your send_to_webreports stanza. You can confirm this by looking for the message REGEX field must be specified tranform_name= in splunkd.log.

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I suspect your problem lies in transforms.conf. You appear to be missing REGEX = in your send_to_webreports stanza. You can confirm this by looking for the message REGEX field must be specified tranform_name= in splunkd.log.

mcronkrite
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

transforms.conf:

[send_to_webreports]
REGEX = .
DEST_KEY = _SYSLOG_ROUTING
FORMAT = webreports_syslog_group

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

If you want to match everything, then I recommend just using REGEX = . There is no need to include the star "*". (This should be just slightly more efficient)

skippylou
Communicator

Thanks! I didn't see any mention of this in the docs, but putting 'REGEX = .*' as part of it worked just perfectly.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...