Getting Data In

Multiple inputs files, with 1 app?

skeer007
Explorer

Hey all, So I found a question here about using multiple inputs.conf files.. how it's possible with multiple apps but not just one. My question is, would this work if you copied the single app you have to a new directory?  Say you have App 1, you copy it to App 2. Since the contents are the same.. as long as you did not try to monitor the same log files.. would this work and be considered two apps?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skeer007,

if you copy an app in another folder (always in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps), obviously you have to use a different name, in this way you are creating a new app.

You cannot put the new app in another location.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

skeer007
Explorer

Thanks gcusello, So yeah obviously the right path and must have a different name. So it doesn't matter that its the 'same' app then right? 

And having multiple apps, with their own inputs.conf is totally supported?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skeer007,

yes, you have two different Add-Ons.

Put attention only to one thing: don't use duplicated inputs because they will be used only one time.

In other words, in in the two Add-Ons you have to monitor the same file, it will be monitored only one time.

if one answer solves your need, please accept one answer for the other people of Community or tell me how I can help you.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

skeer007
Explorer

Good deal. awesome thanks for your help!  I was def aware of the 'don't monitor the same file in more than 1 inputs.conf file' but having two apps who have identical configuration files (except for inputs) made me worry about whether would work correctly or not.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skeer007,

as I said, if the configuration on the same fiels are the same there's no conflict, there could be a problem if you have different configuration (e.g. a different index) because only one of them will be taken.

For this reason I hint to avoid duplicated configurations: in the second Add-On put only the changed inputs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @skeer007,

if you copy an app in another folder (always in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps), obviously you have to use a different name, in this way you are creating a new app.

You cannot put the new app in another location.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...