Getting Data In

Monitor files perfomance

douglasmsouza
Explorer

Hello,

I need to monitor some Oracle Database agent logs with Splunk Universal Forwarder. The base directory for finding the logs is $ORACLE_HOME.

We´re using this configuration to monitor these logs in a Splunk Enterprise environment:
[monitor://$ORACLE_HOME/log/*/agent/ohasd/oraagent_(grid|oracle)/oraagent_(grid|oracle).log]

I know we could configure ORACLE_HOME env in splunk-launch.conf on each UF instance.
However, we have already installed all Universal Forwarders and we don´t know the $ORACLE_HOME env variable on the UF hosts.
we have about 300 hosts, so we decided to do the above configuration to save time:
[monitor:///.../log/*/agent/ohasd/oraagent_(grid|oracle)/oraagent_(grid|oracle).log]

When I execute splunk list monitor its listing all directories under / partition, even if there is one log file per host.

My questions are:

1 - Does Splunk will really look into all directories under /?
2 - If yes, would I have performance problems because the huge amount of directories?

Thanks.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Yes and Yes. Ideally its not recommended to use wildcard at root level as it'll cause UF to recursive walkthrough all those files/directories. You will see performance impact because of that. (high CPU). Will the $ORACLE_HOME be different in all those UFs?? You can either have the server owner create a symlink for you, that you'll monitor (same symlink pointing to appropriate Oracle installation directory) OR create a monitoring stanza that will take care of variations in $ORACLE_HOME values.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

New This Month - Observability Updates Give Extended Visibility and Improve User ...

This month is a collection of special news! From Magic Quadrant updates to AppDynamics integrations to ...

Intro to Splunk Synthetic Monitoring

In our last post, we mentioned that the 3 key pieces of observability – metrics, logs, and traces – provide ...