Getting Data In

Missing F5 Logs

IZ88
Path Finder

Hello fellow Splunkers,

It was brought to my attention from our F5 system manager that some logs from F5 are missing in Splunk. Once every few logs sent (and there are a lot of them) it appears the a log or two just disappear and are not indexed.

To ingest the logs we installed the F5 add-on on our HF and configured both ends (F5 and Splunk) according to the documentation at docs.splunk.com

Does anyone have any idea what can cause this?

We're using Splunk Enterprise 8.0.7 and the Splunk Add-On for F5 4.0.1

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unfortunately, syslog is typically not a very reliable method of log relaying. Your best bet to find out where the logs are getting lost (is it on the source side or the receiving side) would be to run a tcpdump on the network stream between F5 and your splunk component receiving the syslog data and check whether the "missing" events are there (which would mean that indeed they are probably lost on the splunk's side) or aren't (which would mean that for some reason the events were not sent from the F5 at all.

0 Karma

IZ88
Path Finder

Thanks @PickleRick 

I've tried to check where the data disappears.

When looking at the PCAP file from the HF I can see the event, but when searching for it I cannot find it.

Any idea how I can solve it or perhaps an idea for workaround?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you receiving events directly by tcp/udp input (which one?) on HF?

Do you see any errors on this HF?

0 Karma

IZ88
Path Finder

I'm receiving TCP events directly from other sources as well, and the majority of them are not missing events.

The only other source that show the same behavior is Arcsight, but the issue there (according to our support vendor) is that Arcsight sends too much data over one port and syslog-ng can't handle the load, which might explain the occasional missing logs. 

F5 logs are configured as TCP input directly and are not being ingested by syslog-ng.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Receiving data directly on splunk's TCP and UDP inputs is not the recommended way to go. But you can try tweaking queueSize and persistentQueueSize parameters. Might help. But then again - might not.

IZ88
Path Finder

Hi @PickleRick 

Thank you.

I asked F5 system manager to contact them and see if maybe there's a problem from F5s side.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...