Getting Data In

Metric event data with an invalid metric value cannot be indexed. How to troubleshoot

Anuj

I'm trying to fetch windows perfmon data using below input stanza but not receiving any data and I could see the error in splunk messages.

input.conf

[perfmon://LogicalDisk]
counters = Free Megabytes;% Free Space
instances = *
interval = 30
mode = single
object = LogicalDisk
index = em_metrics
_meta = os::"Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard" os_version::6.3.9600 entity_type::Windows_Host
useEnglishOnly = true
sourcetype = PerfmonMetrics:LogicalDisk
disabled = 0

Error Message

The metric value=<unset> is not valid for source=LogicalDisk, sourcetype=LogicalDisk, host=******, index=em_metrics. Metric event data with an invalid metric value cannot be indexed. Ensure the input metric data is not malformed.

The metric name is missing for source=LogicalDisk, sourcetype=LogicalDisk, host=********, index=em_metrics. Metric event data without a metric name is invalid and cannot be indexed. Ensure the input metric data is not malformed.

Splunk Enterprise is 8.0.3

Forwarders tried are 7.3.6, 8.0.3, 8.0.4  

Can anyone help here please?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

mhotsi
Explorer

Is it a distributed environment? If it is make sure you have installed the Splunk_TA_windows on the SH andINX(if you are using UFs)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/AddOns/released/Windows/Install

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...